A student is exempt from all TSI requirements under any one of the following conditions:
- The student has earned a bachelor's degree or an associate's degree from a regionally accredited Texas institution.
- The student is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
- The student has honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas national Guard or served as a member of a reserved component of the armed forces of the United States on or after August 1, 1990.
- The student is a non-degree-seeking (up to 9 credit hours of transferable coursework) or a certificate-seeking student.
- The student has earned prior academic college credit prior to August 1, 1990.
*Students claiming one of the above exemptions still must meet departmental prerequisites.
A student is exempt from one or more TSI requirements under the following conditions.
SAT and ACT scores used to support an exemption must be less than five years old; TAKS scores must be less than three years old.
ACT & SAT scores are NOT required for admissions into Western Texas College; however, scores can be used to exempt a student from placement testing if standard is met.
A student with an exit-level (11th grade or higher)
- TAKS math score of at least 2200 is exempt from math requirement.
- TAKS English/language arts score of at least 2200 and an essay score of at least 3 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- STAAR English III minimum score of Level 2 is exempt for both reading and writing.
- STAAR Algebra II minimum score of Level 2 shall be exempt for math